If you are like many people around the world, you like to ski. If you are planning a ski vacation for your family, you may not know where to start. You can go to your local ski store for their thoughts and you can do the following things to plan the best family ski vacation ever.
- Pick the right mountain. There are a lot of options in the United States for ski vacations. You do not need to look to the largest mountain or resort for the best time. The key is to find a resort that is family friendly. Talk to the experts at the local ski store to find resorts that cater to people with children. They often have activities that are good for children of all ages including ski lessons. You can also look online for the right location for your ski vacation.
- Pay attention to the weather. There is nothing you can do about the weather but you need to watch the wind and the temperatures on the mountain. Plan what runs you will take your family on so that your entire family enjoys their trip. Small kids are impacted more by serious cold weather and wind. If you find that it is extremely cold or windy when you head out to ski, you may want to wait until it is less cold, maybe later in the day. You can also select runs that are shorter.
- Consider ski rentals. When you are looking at ski gear, you can buy your items at the local ski store and if you plan to ski a lot, that may be the best thing you can do. For your kids who will grow out of their skis, you may want to go with ski rentals. A lot of this may depend on where you are going. If you are flying somewhere, you may want to rent your ski equipment. If you are driving to the ski resort, it may be more cost effective to buy your skis and other equipment at the local ski store.
- Get everyone ski lessons. It matters little that some of your family are expert at skiing. Taking lessons together can be a fun bonding experience. If this is your first ski trip together or if you have not gone in a long time, this can be a good way to get everyone up and running. Your entire group will have a better time if everyone is able to hit the slopes and have fun doing it. Each day for your first three days, take a lesson together. You will have more fun than you think during the lesson and everyone will have a better time afterwards.
- Take care of everyone’s feet. Get the right boots at your local ski store. One of the most important things you can do is get the right boots. When your feet are warm and happy, you will be warm and happy. Do not ski in boots that hurt your feet. That will leave you miserable. Make sure you take your boots inside at night. First of all, it is impossibleto get cold boots on in the morning but you want to keep your feet warm and that will have the opposite effect.
- Call the resort and ask about ski rental. If you are planning a family ski vacation during a popular time of the year, you may have a hard time renting skis at all. Call ahead and ask the resort if you can reserve skis in advance, if you are not going to bring your own with you. Even if you are bringing your own skis, knowing what the rental situation is always a good thing. When you plan any kind of family vacation, having a “plan B” is always a good idea.
- Layer your clothing. When you start out, you will be cold. Then you will move around and be in the sun and get warm. Then you will be cold again. If you wear layers, you can adjust your clothing throughout the day.
Ski trips can be great family vacations. If you plan ahead, you and your family will have a fantastic on the slopes.