Paris is one of the most amazing cities on the planet. No matter what time of year you go, you can always have a magical time in the City of Light. Planning your trip can be stressful but it does not have to be. Whether you are looking for luxury accommodations or going on a shoestring budget, Paris has something for every taste and price range. Here are some tips for making your stay in Paris amazing.
Travel Tips for Enjoying Paris:
- Learn a few French phrases. People tend to think Parisians are rude but they really are not. They are just busy. You will do yourself a world of good by learning a few phrases in French. For example, if you say, “Je ne parle pas Francais” rather than “I do not speak French” you will start off on the right foot with a lot of people. Whether you are talking to the people at your luxury accommodations or at a cafe, this will go a long way. While you are learning new phrases, check out the wall of “Je T’aime” at Monmatre, where you can learn to say, “I love you” in 250 different languages.
- See the city by bus. Paris is nothing if not beautiful. While the Paris metro is first rate and amazing, you can get a great sightseeing tour of the city if you get around by bus. Talk to the people at your luxury accommodations or hotel and get a schedule. If you are going to go from point A to B, enjoy the ride!
- Enjoy a picnic at one of the parks. Head over to a bakery, get a few baguettes, some wine and cheese and head out to a park. Whether you are in the Jardin des Plantes or the Jardin Luxembourg, you can have a really nice meal and get in some great sightseeing. This is also something you can do at Versailles.
- Eat the street food. Paris has some of the best food that you can buy on the street of any city on earth. You can get sweet or savory crepes, fantastic sandwiches and more. These can be great for when you are just walking around town.
- Walk as much as you can. There are few cities in the world that are as much fun to walk around as Paris. Bring your best walking shoes and then hit the pavement. Whether you are stalling down the Champs Elysees or walking up the Eiffel Tower, you can get a good workout while getting to know the city. No trip to Paris is complete without a visit to the Eiffel Tower so try to walk up the first two levels if you can.
- Enjoy the food! No Paris vacation is really complete without at least one fine fining experience. The Parisian cuisine is reason enough to visit this city. Talk to the people at your luxury accommodations about their recommendations but walk around and trust your instinct. If you are looking to spend less, you can check out the Latin Quarter and go to a place with a fixed price menu. It is really hard to go wrong with the food in Paris.
- Check out some off the beaten path places. The Musee Cluny is the oldest museum in the city and will give you a great sense of Paris’ history. L’Orangerie has some amazing Claude Monet paintings in its basement and if you are looking for more morbid attractions, there is always the catacombs. This is where the city placed its skeletons during the plague. It reaches a depth of about a five story building (20 meters). The zoo at the Jardin des Plantes is also a great spot to take kids.
It is really hard to go wrong with a vacation in Paris. Not only is it one of the most romantic places on the planet but there is something to please just about every taste and budget. Even when it rains, the city is breathtakingly gorgeous. When the sun comes out, it really feels like God is smiling on the city. If you spend some time doing even a small amount of research, you will be able to make your trip as amazing as the city itself.